A Vegetarian Feast Fit For A King!

Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending a one-day 'Vegetarian Feast' course at The Edinburgh New Town Cookery School on Queen Street. 

I was welcomed in out of the cold morning by Colette, who turned out to be my tutor for the day. The group made our way into the demo kitchen for a cuppa (with shortbread, freshly made, naturally) before heading up to the kitchens where the magic really happens. 


There were 8 of us in total, a mix of vegetarians and meat eaters, like me. Colette ran us through our menu for the day:

Spring Quinoa Salad
Dolcelatte Tortellini with Walnut Sauce and a pear salad
Wild Mushroom Ragout on Crispy Polenta
Marinated Aubergines with Oregano and Tahini 

So off we set to work making our lunch for the day which was the quinoa salad and aubergine. Colette had helpfully weighed out most of ingredients and pre cooked the quinoa so we had lots of chopping to do. The smell of beautiful fresh ingredients was intoxicating! We made a lovely marinade for the aubergine consisting of chilli, coriander, oregano, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. It could be used just as successfully with chicken or fish.


I won't bore you with all the details of my chopping and mixing but here's the end result and it was absolutely delicious:


In addition to this we made polenta to grill later with the most amazing wild mushroom ragout made with cream, garlic, white wine, Parmesan and truffle oil. 



I will definitely be making this again as it would be delicious with pasta.


Lunch, with wine, was served in a lovely airy dining room overlooking Queen Street. We were also served coffee and freshly made banana bread. Pleased with our hard work, we started the second half of our day. Pasta making! 

We were shown how to make the tortellini which is surprisingly easy. We also made a gorgeous Dolcelatte filling. Sadly mine got completely squashed on the way home so I don't have a photo but it tasted amazing!! 

Throughout the day I picked up lots of little tips and extra recipes from Colette who was extremely knowledgable and personable. I'm sure I asked a few silly questions but was never made to feel so. 

I can't recommend The Edinburgh New Town Cookery School highly enough - such a friendly team and the food was heavenly. There are many other courses on offer from gap year courses to children's baking sessions, so please do check out their website www.entcs.co.uk 

With thanks to ENTCS and Porter Novelli PR for inviting me along for the day. 

Edinburgh New Town Cookery School
7 Queen Street
Edinburgh
EH2 1JE

T: 0131 2264314   

Comments

  1. Looks like fun, I'm thinking of doing some cookery courses this year, so will have a closer look! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts