Surprisingly Family Friendly at The Huxley

Nowadays my restaurant choice is somewhat limited to "family friendly" venues. I'm sure my view of what constitutes family friendly is probably different to others, but for me it's quite simple: all we need is a clean highchair with a working harness, healthy food choices for kids (or option to just have smaller portions from the main menu) and clean baby changing facilities. Anything else is a bonus in my view. 



So when we arrived at The Huxley (previously The Rutland) for an early dinner with our toddler (Paige, 18 months) I have to admit I wasn't expecting it to be particularly family friendly. But I was very pleasantly surprised. 



First off, it's been done up to a lovely standard with quirky (and comfy!) chairs. Our highchair was clean and the harness in tact - tick. The main menu isn't huge, it knows what it does best, namely burgers and hot dogs with a light bites and sharing boards menu. There is also a separate children's menu with some healthy options (2 courses plus a drink for £7). Another tick. For Paige we went for spaghetti and meatballs, hubby had the "piggy" burger and I went for an unusual deep fried avocado with a wasabi dip which was absolutely delicious! 



I also had the Vietnamese spring roll which were not deep fried, they came in rice wraps and were light, very fresh and tasty. 



Paige's spaghetti was a huge portion so great for older kids (and greedy parents!). Hubby's piggy burger was a beef burger with pulled pork and pork scratchings on top which got the thumbs up. 


What's great about The Huxley is they provide a free kids pack with a colouring and games book and crayons which kept Paige happy the whole time we were there. A huge tick! For older kids they offer iPads loaded with games and cartoons. Not something I would usually advocate at dinner, but sometimes needs must! 

As it was my birthday (hence the glass of bubbly!) hubby did the half time nappy change. He assured me the baby changing facilities were spotless and the strap worked on the changing table, which in SO many places it doesn't! Only comment would be, a simple chair in here would be useful for getting trousers and shoes back on a wriggly toddler. 

For desert we shared the peanut butter brownie. We both regretted sharing as it was the best brownie we've tasted - and I've tasted a LOT of chocolate brownies! It was light and melt in the mouth and very easy to eat, with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream. 


Paige got a lovely fruit platter which she devoured promptly. As you can see from the below photo it had a great selection and was cut up to suit her perfectly. 


So all in all a very happy family! I would recommend The Huxley for a family meal and they also have an extensive breakfast menu so I think we'll be back to check that out soon. (Note children under 18 are not permitted in bar after 6.30pm). 

Thanks to The Huxley for hosting us for this review - very much appreciated. 

Comments

Popular Posts