Thursday, 24 April 2014

Review of The Magnum Bar & Restaurant

A week past Monday I had the pleasure of having a fantastic lunch at The Magnum Bar & Restaurant on Albany Street in Edinburgh. 



Hubby and I had spent the morning looking round nurseries for Paige for when I return to work in September. So to have a nice lunch to look forward to at the end of it kept us going!

The sun was shining and it was a beautiful Spring day. We ended up being very early for our reservation, however, a quick phone call en route to a very friendly girl at The Magnum reassured us, and we made our way across town.

We were greeted by a gentleman who held the door for us (by 'us' I'm referring to Miss Paige and her entourage of bags, pram and toys). We chose our spot by the window with plenty of room for Paige's pram, which was helpfully suggested by our waitress. 


We had the choice of a set menu or the a la carte. We went for a mix from both.

For starters we shared the haggis, neeps and tatties in a whisky sauce which came beautifully presented:


And we also had the mushrooms with goats cheese on ciabatta from the set lunch menu:


Generous portions and very yummy.

For main, hubby stuck to the set menu and went for the samosa which was again well presented and a good portion size. Lightly spiced vegetables encased in a crips pastry:


I, on the other hand, stuck with the a la carte menu and unusually for me went with the chicken and bacon burger. And man am I glad I did! It was already dripping in sweet chilli sauce but I added some blue cheese to the mix. It came with a pile of wedges too. Mmmmmmm. Just writing this and looking at the photo is making me hungry! My photo really doesn't do it justice.


As if that wasn't enough I just had to try one of the puddings. A very citrusy cheesecake rounded off my massive lunch nicely!


The staff could not have been nicer and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Very reasonably priced for such lovely food, service and surroundings. Pop in at the very least for a drink if you're in the area, you won't regret it.






No comments:

Post a Comment