Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Review of The Stockbridge Restaurant

Nestled away under St Stephen Street is the Stockbridge Restaurant. You could be forgiven for walking right past it if it wasn't for the welcoming fairy lights beckoning you in. 


Hubby and I, on our first solo outing for a wee while (by solo I mean minus baby!), were warmly welcomed and invited to choose any table we liked. We opted for a cosy corner table toward the back of the restaurant. For a Thursday evening it was quite busy so there was a nice atmosphere. 


We instantly felt relaxed. I love places that promise great food in a non-pretentious way and The Stockbridge Restaurant lives up to that. I felt comfortable wearing jeans and a nice top but would equally have not looked out of place wearing a nice dress. Girls, you know what I mean! 

So, we ordered our drinks. As driver I had a sparkling water and hubby went for  one of the unusual beers on the menu. 


We were offered both the set menu and the a la carte. As carnivores through and through the menu didn't disappoint! Here's what we had...

To whet our appetite we were given an 'amuse bouche' of mozzarella with Parma ham. 

 
To follow, my starter was seared scallops with butternut squash purée, apple salsa and Parma ham. A generous serving of perfectly cooked scallops arrived and I ate the lot! It was delicious - the creamy butternut squash and the sharpness of the apple complemented the scallops perfectly. 


Hubby went for the braised ox cheek with horseradish creamed potato, onion rings and red wine jus. Again, a very generous starter size portion arrived and it was equally delicious - melt in the mouth meat accompanied by a tasty sauce. 


For main course I went for the corn fed chicken breast with dauphinois potato, wild mushrooms, Savoy cabbage and Madeira sauce. This was from the set menu but they kindly let me mix and match! 


Hubby, on a red meat mission, went for the venison loin with venison pie, braised red cabbage, parsnip purée and a port wine sauce. I'm not usually a venison fan but I have to admit, I had food envy. It was delicious. 


Stuffed, we looked at the dessert menu as you do, not really expecting to order anything from it. Until I was presented with a chocolate lovers dream. Chocolate brûlée with chocolate brownie, white chocolate mousse and milk chocolate ice cream. I couldn't pass that up! 

When I was presented with this much cutlery for dessert, I was excited! 


And quite rightly so! Once the 'pre dessert' of a heavenly passion fruit sorbet was promptly scoffed, my chocolate buffet arrived...WOW! 

 
It was amazing! Warm chocolate brownie, decedent brûlée and a creamy ice cream - I was a happy customer. 

As promised, we had a relaxed dinner with excellent food and great service. A winning combination for a date night in Edinburgh. Had we not had the car and a baby to get home to, we may have sampled some of St Stephen Street's cosy bars, making The Stockbridge Restaurant the perfect location. Maybe next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment