Review of La Tasca (South Charlotte Street) Edinburgh

I was asked recently to review the new menu at Spanish Tapas Restaurant La Tasca in Edinburgh, created by Executive Chef Antony Bennett on his return from filming in Salamanca.  I hadn't been before, so hubby and I went along one Tuesday evening in August.  The Festival was in full swing so I was intrigued to see how the food and service would be at such a busy time.

We were welcomed by a friendly hostess who had our booking, and showed us to a nice window seat.  Our knowledgeable waiter then explained the menu and took a drinks order.  I opted for a yummy non-alcoholic cocktail and hubby taunted me with a lovely big glass of red wine...something I am looking forward to once baby arrives!

We deliberated over the menu for a while, as being pregnant, there was quite a few things I couldn't have.  However, we finally settled on a selection of tapas to share.  Here's what we had:

SPANISH STYLE RUSTIC BREAD BOARD WITH OILS



GAMBAS GABARDINA (MADRID)
King prawns, dipped in a special-recipe San Miguel batter and fried until crisp, then served with homemade paprika & roasted garlic mayonnaise and lemon.





SPICY ROASTED VEGETABLE CASSOLO WITH ALMOND (CASTILE LA MANCHA)

Butternut squash, red onion, chickpeas, celeriac and cannellini beans in a winter warming spicy tomato sauce topped with crushed almonds and parsley.

CROQUETAS DE POLLO (MADRID)

Hand-crumbed with chicken breast and served with roasted garlic mayonnaise.






ALBÓNDIGAS (MADRID)

Beef & pork meatballs, in a rich, slow-cooked tomato sauce.

TORTILLA ESPAÑOLA (ESPAÑA)

Spanish omelette, served with a spicy red pepper tapenade and roasted garlic mayonnaise


CHORIZO & MORCILLA (CASTILLA Y LEÓN)
Spanish black pudding and chorizo cooked with fire roast peppers, basil and onion.


















SHARING CHURROS (FOR TWO)


Doughnut twists, served with fresh strawberries and marshmallows, plus a rich chocolate sauce for dipping.






















As we waited on our little sharing plates to we arrive, we munched the bread and oils - well, I ate most of it!  We waited quite a while on our mains, which I think is a good sign that it was all cooked fresh.  I never think tapas looks very much when it's all laid out on the table, however, it was more than enough!  



All in all it was a nice meal.  It didn't blow me away, but then to be honest, tapas rarely does.  The omelette was a little dry, but everything else was really tasty and fresh. I especially enjoyed the churros for dessert - I'm a big fan!




The service was excellent and the restaurant had a really nice atmosphere and didn't feel too much like a chain.  


La Tasca Restaurant



9 South Charlotte Street

EdinburghEH2 4AS
Tel: 0131 220 0011



Comments

Popular Posts