Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Krua Thai Cookery School in Edinburgh

A few years ago I was lucky enough to spend a day at a one-to-one Thai cookery lesson at The Krua Thai Cookery School in Edinburgh.  I spent the day in the company of owner and chef Ru Herd, who is honestly one of the most talented and friendly people I've met.  It was an amazing experience and I picked up so many hints and tips that I've carried on using, as well as some of my favourite recipes.
 
To my delighted, I noticed they were doing classes through an online voucher website, so mum and I jumped at the chance to book (thanks for the Christmas pressie dad!).
 
So on Saturday, off we went to the school, which is situated on Liberton Brae in Edinburgh.  We were greeted by Ru and she was just as friendly as I remembered.  We joined our fellow chefs round Ru's dining table, where we sipped jasmine tea and nibbled on fresh pineapple.  Once everyone had arrived, we headed for the kitchen.
 
 
 
We spent the afternoon making chicken won tons, Thai red chicken curry, egg fried rice, dipping sauces, and banana's cooked in coconut cream.  It was such a fun day and Ru chatted for hours about the ingredients (which were all very fresh and authentic), growing up in Thailand, her family, her work - which takes her all around the world training chefs from the top restaurants.  The afternoon whizzed by!
 
 
 
 
After the cooking, we all sat back round the table and were treated to the fruits of our labour.  I can honestly say Ru's food far surpasses any Thai restaurant I've ever been to.  We were given all the recipes away so I look forward to adding these recipes to my repertoire!
 
 
 
Well worth a visit if you are interested in Thai cooking.  I can't recommend it highly enough. 
 
For information please contact:
 
Rujira Herd
Krua Thai Cookery School
19 Liberton Brae
Edinburgh
EH16 6AQ
 
You can find the school on Facebook too.
 
**Photos by kind permission of The Krua Thai Cookery School**

No comments:

Post a Comment