Saturday, 4 August 2012

My new favourite place to hang out - The Fountain

When I found out The Fountain bar on Dundee Street was being refurbished by the owners of The Golden Rule, I was delighted.  There are very few places around the area I live that is nice to eat and go for a drink.  I've not been disappointed.

They've done the place up to a really high standard that would rival any city centre bar.  Hubby and I popped in after work one Wednesday night to try it out.  We sat in the bar for a glass of wine and received a very warm welcome from the bar staff.  The menu is varied, and far from normal pub grub. We decided to kick off with a sharing platter of cheese, bread, hummus, olives and oil.  A huge platter arrived with three varieties of cheese. It was delicious, and would be perfect to share with a bottle of wine on it's own.


For main course, I chose the Sea Bass with Pesto Risotto from the regularly changing list of specials.  I'm not usually a huge fan on fish but since our cooking class at Locanda Di Gusti, I've been trying to eat more of it, and  I have to say, it was delicious!  Portion size was huge, I had 3 large pieces of fish with a good sized amount of risotto.  The Sea Bass was cooked to perfection, with lovely crispy skin.



Hubby found it hard to see past the Fish and Chips.  A humongous piece of fish arrived, beautifully crisp and light batter with big chunky chips, homemade tartar sauce and mushy peas. 


My second visit to The Fountain was with friends and I'm pleased to say we all had something different and all just as good as the time before.  Here's the run down:

Beef Shin Pie
I've since been back and ordered this for myself and it's the best beef pie I've ever had.


Fish Pie - packed full of fish with a lovely creamy sauce.



Spiced Veggie Haggis with minted courgettes



Salmon with coconut broth


Please try this place out for yourself - it's fantastic for food or an after-work drink. I know I'm looking forward to returning!



No comments:

Post a Comment