Monday, 7 May 2012

Tealicious - Retro Sweets Theme

When the tickets went on sale for May's Tealicious Retro Sweets event, I was one of the lucky few to snap one up.  They sold out in about 10 minutes flat on Twitter, so I knew I was in for a treat.  So what is Tealicious?  They describe themselves as: "A secret pop-up afternoon tea experience by The Shore in Leith. Expect sophisticated sweets in a quirky vintage style. With booze." 

I was a little apprehensive about turning up on my own as I wasn't sure who was going to be there.  I arrived at Sofi's Bar for 2.30pm as instructed and was directed through to the back room by a friendly bar tender when I mentioned the magic word "Tealicious." To my delight, the tiny room, adorned with vintage bunting and local photographs, was filled with some familiar faces in the form of the Edinburgh Cake Ladies; Alison (@EdinburghCake), Wendy (@insideoutchef), Lisa (@Harbourhussy - all the way from Aberdeen!) and Sophia (@pleasebringcake).  It was also filled with cake



I took my seat and was soon joined by the lovely Melissa (@melbise) who I'd met briefly before at the Edinburgh Cake Ladies 'Getting Tarty' event.  The room was small enough for us all to chat together which was nice.  I was soon offered a choice of tea - chai or cherry blossom.  I opted for the chai which I've never had before and was pleasantly surprised, being an avid coffee drinker, that it reminded me of Christmas spices and mulled wine.




In front of me, were bite-sized morsels of cakey loveliness.  We were offered some savouries to start which included a tasty onion bread, cheesy puff (which was to die for) and a pumpkin scone.  All were full of flavour and got me ready for the main event.  The first to catch my attention was an individual chocolate eclair, with a surprise honeycomb topping.  It was delicious!  As was the buttermilk scone which, naturally, I smothered in the homemade jam and clotted cream.  On to the rhubarb and custard tart which was light, crisp and beautifully sweet.  I was starting to get a bit full, when a huge slab of chocolate mint cake, resembling and old school Vianetta, was popped on my plate.  I made my way through that and decided I needed a break. 


After about 5 minutes of my 'break' it was on the lemon polenta cake.  Again, it was delightfully light and tangy with a perfect balance of lemon.

Next were were offered a raspberry cheese cake which I just couldn't fit in, however, I managed to taste a bit of Melissa's and it was just devine - genuinely the best cheesecake I've ever tasted.  If only I'd had room for a slice of my own! 



Lots more tea drinking and chatter ensued and then, just when you thought we couldn't possibly eat anymore, these beauties were brought out.  Homemade marshmallows flavoured with raspberry and orange and macaroons.  Again all bite-size so easy to try them all!  Well it would be rude not to, wouldn't it?!


The experience was completely complimented by the lovely Tealicious girls, who looked after us all afternoon, ensuring we all had an endless supply of tea and cake, whilst at the same time sharing their recipes and tips with us.  As if that wasn't enough, we were all given a box of goodies to take home. 

Now I know why the tickets sold out so quickly...




1 comment:

  1. These all look amazing, lots of likeness in style to retro sweets

    ReplyDelete