Saturday, 17 March 2012

Mother's Day at Mimi's Bakehouse

I've had a rather lovely cake-filled day today.  I got up early this morning to pop along to the Dough Re Mi bakery on Viewforth for some Mother's Day cupcakes and some yummy freshly baked bread.  I was served by the cutest girl who did a great sales job and talked me into buying one of each cupcake variety; carrot cake, vanilla, chocolate ganache and lemon.  Hubby was most pleased with the onion bread and made himself a whopper of a ham sandwich when I got home!

As a Mother's Day treat I decided to take my mum to Mimi's Bakehouse at The Shore.

We were welcomed by a very friendly young man who showed us to the table we had reserved, by the window.  The decor is just fabulous and the place was packed!  By the time we ate, there were literally people queueing out the door.  We were sitting amongst lots of groups of women chattering away over cake, pink cava and tea, families with children and couples enjoying a lazy weekend brunch.  There was real buzz about the place, an atmosphere that we were all part of something very special indeed...

And special it was.  The menu features an array of scrummy breakfast/brunch options as well as a lovely lunch menu all at very reasonable prices.  I saw several plates whizz past all of which looked amazing, and large! But we were there for the main event - Mimi's Afternoon Tea.  We were presented with a vast choice of teas to choose from, so I went for the Jasmine and mum opted for traditional English Breakfast.  Our tea arrived in cute little teapots and we were told by our very friendly waitress that we could ask for top ups at any time.


Our food arrived and to say I was delighted by what I saw is an understatement, given I was placed in full view of a display cabinet featuring the most amazing cakes I've ever seen!  I took a particular fancy to a chocolate number covered in Oreo cookies...Oh don't worry, I will be back for some of that!



So, our three-tiered vintage style tower of loveliness consisted of sandwiches, with beautifully soft bread, made up of classic smoked salmon and cucumber, egg and chive and ham and mustard.  The next layer - meringues with thick clotted cream and berries drizzled with a berry sauce, malteaser cake, the lightest mini cupcakes and a scrummy coconut tart.   


Crowning the top of our tower was two varieties of scones, still warm from the oven, light and fluffy with a generous pot of clotted cream and Mimi's homemade jam.



Wowzer!  It was all just perfect. Thank you Mimi - I will be back...hopefully for a massive slab of chocolate Oreo cake!








1 comment:

  1. Lovely to meet you at the Cake Ladies tonight :o) Two visits to Mimi's in a week - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete