Friday, 9 March 2012

Moo-ve over! There's a new favorite restaurant in town!

After many reviews and lots of Twitter chatter, I finally got to check out new Edinburgh Steak establishment, Kyloe at The Rutland, for myself.  And I was not disappointed.  Firstly, I was very impressed to have been sent the menu via Twitter this morning when I mentioned I was visiting - a nice touch.  



From walking up the stairs amongst the cow-themed Andy Warhol-style artwork hanging from the wall, I got a good feeling about the place.  The girl that welcomed us and showed us to our table was very friendly and even complimented my dress, which, given I was having a "fat day," made my evening and for that I was grateful! 

The restaurant itself is fabulous, with cow print wallpaper and big comfy cow print booths - this is definitely a place to relax and be well fed and watered.  Our waitress started us off with a nice Friday night G&T which never fails, and some beautifully warm homemade bread straight from oven.  As me munched our way through that while perusing the menu we were shown the now infamous steak board.  This is not something for the feint hearted I have to admit!  A big board covered in raw Aberdeen Angus meat from Hardiesmill was explained to us by a very knowledgeable waitress, who took her time to tell us about all the different cuts of meat, their flavours and textures, how they should be cooked and which ones she recommended.  Being in the company of farmers, I can confirm she was spot on!

We opted not to have starters given the size of the steaks on offer and we had it on good authority that the side dishes were not to be missed.  So myself and mum chose the fillet which was the most tender piece of meat I have ever tasted - perfectly cooked medium-rare - my knife slid through it with ease.  It was accompanied by a red wine and blue cheese sauce.  Dad went for the rib eye which he assured us was very tasty and his pepper sauce was superb - nice and fiery. Well it would have been rude not to sample it with good old chip dunk!  (I should note at this point that hubby was sadly not able to join us, and after reading this, will be gutted!) For sides, we went for the beef dripping chips - beautifully crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, they reminded me of roast potatoes on Christmas day.  We also went for the creamed spinach, huge light onion rings and deliciously garlicky portobello mushrooms.  We were all in agreement that it was just perfect and paired nicely with a bottle of Merlot.



We were all completely stuffed, but it didn't take much persuasion, after seeing a family next to us sharing the chocolate fondue, to order one of our own.  And boy was it good!  Roasted marshmallows, warm madelines, macaroons, profiteroles, cookies, shortbread, poached pear and a warm pot of milk chocolate to bathe it all in.  I think the photo below speaks for itself! It was such a generous portion that even between the three of us we couldn't finish it. 



All in all it was a real treat.  Adding to the experience, the staff were fantastic, the restaurant itself is really interesting (ladies, check out the very black and stylish toilets!) and we had plenty of time between courses that we didn't feel rushed at all.  And most importantly, the food was just amazing.  I will definitely be back.

All that's left to say is thanks to mum and dad for treating me, and sorry to hubby for missing it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment