Getting Tarty with the Edinburgh Cake Ladies

A couple of weeks ago I spent a lovely evening with the now infamous Edinburgh Cake Ladies, at Mimi's Bakehouse at The Shore.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Cake Ladies, they are basically a group of  ladies who love to bake, chat and eat cake.  Simple and fabulous. 

The theme of the evening was "getting tarty" and, as a nod to my Canadian quarter, I decided I'd make a maple and pecan pie.  Easy right?!  Considering I didn't even own a tart tin and had never blind baked a thing in my life, this was a considerable challenge for me.

The hardest part was finding a recipe!  I trawled the internet for a while until I decided to pretty much make it up as I went along so I combined a couple of recipes together.  I needed to test it out though before I dared brave The Edinburgh Cake Ladies!  So I made a test tart using a pastry recipe from an episode of Rachel Allen 'Bake'.  She gave me a great tip: roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of cling film then take the top layer off, pop it into your tart tin (with the cling film side up) and pop your baking beans in, wrap the cling film around the beans and blind bake.  The clingfilm will not melt, I promise!  So to my surprise making pastry was actually pretty easy with no mess and no floured work surfaces.

Here's my first attempt at the maple and pecan tart...

It tasted good but my family were in agreement it was just too chunky! For my final attempt the evening before the event, I couldn't find pecans anywhere so ended up with walnut and maple tart which actually wasn't bad at all!  You will find the recipe for this in the 'Recipes' tab.




I had a really lovely evening with the cake ladies, met some extremely nice people and ate a LOT of cake!  Thank you Edinburgh Cake Ladies for making me feel so welcome and for encouraging me to make pastry!  Here's a pic of the AMAZING display of cakey-goodness.





Since then I've gone a bit pastry crazy and made this yummy potato, stilton and spinach tart with a walnut pastry.  It's just so easy!







Comments

  1. I don't think we got the chance to meet at the get-together but I took some of your maple & walnut tart home and it was delicious (and boyfriend proclaimed it the best of the leftovers!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Melissa! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You will find the recipe on my blog if you fancy trying it out - it was very easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts